GSoC 2014 Update: Caching plugin for Monkey server – Week 8

This week I was trying to find out what is the cause of the error that degrades the performance of Monkey. With the help of Eduardo (my mentor), I found out a few errors.

Web server benchmarking :

Server side profiling : I used a new tool of the name kcachegrind, which is a variation of valgrind, that helps find out how many times each function in the source code has been called and which function takes the maximum processing time.

Two simple things that I discovered that I was doing wrong are :
  1. For the purpose of debugging, I had been printing messages to the standard out, from the various functions of the caching plugin. I was also configuring the server with the trace mode on. This greatly slowed down the performance of the server.
  2. Also, at the end of stage_30 of the plugin, inspite of the request being successfully being handled by the plugin, it returned MK_PLUGIN_RET_NOT_ME, which meant that it would be handled by monkey core. This also affected the performance. I’m still working on fixing this issue and returning MK_PLUGIN_END at some point so that the request would be completely processed.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s