Tag Archives: flot charts

GSoC 2014 Update: Caching Plugin for Monkey server – Week 11

This week I spent most of my time working on getting the real time chart display to get to work – solving the errors that I encountered, mainly due to not including the necessary source files for the charts. I used flot charts to draw the real time graph that has number of requests served by the server and the time on X and Y axes respectively. I am testing if the display is working correctly. I also added code for JSON output in the main file for the cache plugin.
After this, I will need to tie up some loose ends in the code and do documentation. I expect to finish the project by this Friday and post the code for reviews and comments. I will post more about this then !

GSoC 2014 Update: Caching Plugin – Week 10

This week(end) I was working on getting the cache statistics and live displays to work. I have accomplished part of the work. Part of it still remains and I hope to complete it by tomorrow.

Cache Statistics :

It has to be determined how much of requests each thread is handling. The new functions added are :

  1. cache_process_init – to initialize the cache statistics when the cache plugin is running and when the user interface is started.
  2. cache_thread_init – to initialize the cache statistics for each thread of the server that is running.
  3. cache_update – to update the statistics of the plugin, adding up the request per second that are currently running.
  4. cache_stats_new – each time a new request is assigned to a thread, the number of requests handled by the specific thread is incremented.

Finding mime type of requested file :

Making use of mime type module of Monkey server, I also wrote code to pass the mime type of the requested file to the response header (something that I had not done before). The way to obtain the mimetype of the file requested, is to find out the extension of the file from the url of the request. This is then set to the mime type of the request header in the cache.c file. This is exactly how the server has found the content type of the requested file. This could be used in the cache plugin too. Using the mimetype_find () function present in the server’s source code file – mimetype.c, the mime type is found, by passing the file name.

User interface development

I spent most of my time on figuring out how to include graphs in the user interface and make them display live information. This link : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22685743/how-to-populate-real-time-data-into-a-twitter-bootstrap-admin-dashboard-theme was useful. I tried to use Flot charts in the user interface. I also had to include jquery.flot.js and jquery.js files to in the dependencies. I figured how to do that.

Adherence to timeline : 

According to the timeline, I need to finish the user interface and start testing from the next day. I hope to complete this task by tomorrow and start testing from the next day or at least by Wednesday.

Code : https://github.com/tssavita/cache-plugin-implementation