Tag Archives: Monkey HTTP server

GSoC 2014 Update: Caching Plugin for Monkey HTTP Server – Week 13

As planned, I have completed the caching plugin. But as the pencils down date is tomorrow, I’m still trying to improve the performance and clean up the code. 
 
This week (especially today with the help of Eduardo), I have made a lot of changes to the plugin code.
 
However, according to the initial plan, I was also supposed to get a user interface up and running by the end of GSoC. Although I have written the code for the same, it is not in working condition yet. There still needs to be some fixing and changing to be done. I hope to improve the code more before the pencils down timing tomorrow. If I am not able to complete it entirely I will continue to work on this post GSoC and finish it as was planned initially.
 
Like everybody else, I’ve also learnt a lot during the internship. Thanks to Eduardo for being patient with me.
 

 

Advertisements

GSoC 2014 Update: Caching Plugin for Monkey server – Week 12

Last week I was mainly working on changing the method of deletion of files from the cache from using the min heap to using time as a basis to remove the expired files, to see if there is any improvement in the performance (Not much to “write about”.). However, this has been temporarily stopped (taking into account a suggestion from Eduardo). It will be resumed later. I also need to add a button to the user interface, to purge all the documents in the cache. I will also try to incorporate the suggestion provided by Eduardo, to use mk_file_get_info to improve the performance.
 
I am doing testing on the code and surprisingly a few errors have popped up – some grave errors at that ! I’m trying to fix them and finish off the documentation in this week.
 

 

GSoC 2014 Update: Caching Plugin for Monkey server – Week 11

This week I spent most of my time working on getting the real time chart display to get to work – solving the errors that I encountered, mainly due to not including the necessary source files for the charts. I used flot charts to draw the real time graph that has number of requests served by the server and the time on X and Y axes respectively. I am testing if the display is working correctly. I also added code for JSON output in the main file for the cache plugin.
After this, I will need to tie up some loose ends in the code and do documentation. I expect to finish the project by this Friday and post the code for reviews and comments. I will post more about this then !

GSoC 2014 Update: Caching Plugin – Week 10

This week(end) I was working on getting the cache statistics and live displays to work. I have accomplished part of the work. Part of it still remains and I hope to complete it by tomorrow.

Cache Statistics :

It has to be determined how much of requests each thread is handling. The new functions added are :

  1. cache_process_init – to initialize the cache statistics when the cache plugin is running and when the user interface is started.
  2. cache_thread_init – to initialize the cache statistics for each thread of the server that is running.
  3. cache_update – to update the statistics of the plugin, adding up the request per second that are currently running.
  4. cache_stats_new – each time a new request is assigned to a thread, the number of requests handled by the specific thread is incremented.

Finding mime type of requested file :

Making use of mime type module of Monkey server, I also wrote code to pass the mime type of the requested file to the response header (something that I had not done before). The way to obtain the mimetype of the file requested, is to find out the extension of the file from the url of the request. This is then set to the mime type of the request header in the cache.c file. This is exactly how the server has found the content type of the requested file. This could be used in the cache plugin too. Using the mimetype_find () function present in the server’s source code file – mimetype.c, the mime type is found, by passing the file name.

User interface development

I spent most of my time on figuring out how to include graphs in the user interface and make them display live information. This link : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22685743/how-to-populate-real-time-data-into-a-twitter-bootstrap-admin-dashboard-theme was useful. I tried to use Flot charts in the user interface. I also had to include jquery.flot.js and jquery.js files to in the dependencies. I figured how to do that.

Adherence to timeline : 

According to the timeline, I need to finish the user interface and start testing from the next day. I hope to complete this task by tomorrow and start testing from the next day or at least by Wednesday.

Code : https://github.com/tssavita/cache-plugin-implementation

GSoC 2014 Update: Caching Plugin for Monkey server – Week 9

This week, I managed to fix whatever the issue was, that was causing a decrease in the performance of the caching plugin. Also apart from that I designed the UI (that is to be designed using Twitter bootstrap and Angular JS) – what all should be printed on it, such as 
  • a graphical display of the requests per second.
  • cache clearing 
  • cache hits and misses 
I started out with writing code to calculate these data when the plugin is running. 
 
I also started out with changing my cache from Least Commonly Used to Least Recently Used, to see if it improves the performance of the plugin, but however discontinued this job to prioritize other remaining tasks. 
 
During the next week,
  • After testing the plugin for various corner cases, I plan to change my cache type from LCU to LRU
  • I plan on completing code for calculation of the statistics data, and integrating them with the user interface. 
Reference and special mention : 
 
Reading last time’s GSoC student Zia’s blog helped me out a lot – http://ziahamza.wordpress.com/